Fundraiser faces arrest in multiple gaming debts
Donor’s ties to Obama were scrutinize
A Las Vegas judge has issued a felony arrest warrant for a politically connected Chicago businessman whose ties to Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama have become an issue in the campaign.
Antoin “Tony” Rezko, who is standing trial on federal corruption charges in Chicago, is wanted in Las Vegas for failing to pay $472,275 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace and Bally’s and related processing fees to the Clark County district attorney’s office.
The total unpaid Strip bill comes to more than $800,000, however, because the Bellagio obtained a judgment of default against Rezko a year ago for not repaying $331,000 in gambling markers.
A federal jury has been deliberating Rezko’s fate the past two weeks following two months of testimony in a corruption trial linked to the administration of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.
Rezko, a 52-year-old real estate developer and fast-food entrepreneur, was once considered part of Blagojevich’s inner circle, as well as a prominent donor and fundraiser for Obama.
Obama acknowledged early in the campaign that it had been a mistake to enter into a 2005 land deal with Rezko at a time when the businessman was under federal scrutiny.
While at a Chicago law firm, Obama also had done legal work involving housing developments owned by Rezko. In the Las Vegas case, records show, Justice of the Peace Nancy Oesterle issued the warrant for Rezko’s arrest May 20 at the request of Chief Deputy District Attorney Bernie Zadrowski, who runs the bad check unit. Unpaid casino markers are treated as bad checks in Nevada.
Zadrowski and District Attorney David Roger declined to comment, but courthouse sources said Las Vegas authorities, aware of Rezko’s trial in Chicago, notified federal authorities there about the outstanding warrant Tuesday. If Rezko is convicted in Chicago, he’ll likely remain under the supervision of federal authorities and the Nevada charges will take a back seat, the sources said.Read It All
Pelosi vows to prevent fight at Dem convention
(05-28) 20:17 PDT San Francisco -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she will step in if necessary to make sure the presidential nomination fight between Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama does not reach the Democratic National Convention - though she believes it could be resolved as early as next week.
Pelosi predicted Wednesday that a presidential nominee will emerge in the week after the final Democratic primaries on June 3, but she said "I will step in" if there is no resolution by late June regarding the seating of delegates from Florida and Michigan, the two states that defied party rules by holding early primaries.
"Because we cannot take this fight to the convention," she said. "It must be over before then."
(Who made her God?)
Read it all
From The Page
Oregon DNC member Gail Rasmussen,
who announced her decision early Thursday.
Washington State Democratic Party Vice Chair Eileen Macoll.
Michigan favors McCain, split on ousting Kilpatrick, poll finds
Survey of 600 voters finds threat to Democrats' hold on state, unless Obama teams up with Clinton.
Sen. John McCain is poised to challenge Democrats' 16-year hold on Michigan's presidential vote, and state voters are split on whether Gov. Jennifer Granholm should oust Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, a new WXYZ-Action News poll by EPIC-MRA shows.
Majority whip endorses Himes but keeps presidential pick secret
New Clinton Ad Up...Only One
Tonight, 10 p.m ET